Do you have needy friends? There are some friends who feel like an emotional ball and chain. They’re always in need of one thing or another: money, favors, help, coddling, praise—or simply more time than you have to give.
Like a wailing toddler, they can be so demanding that their friendship tires you and weighs you down. Who needs that kind of friend? Many women do.
- People who like feeling needed—or once liked the feeling (even if they don’t anymore)
- People who feel like they aren’t worthy of healthier, more balanced relationships
- People who are stuck—either feeling angry or sorry for their needy friend—and feel unable to get out of it
But if you have begun to recognize that a female friendship is a drag, you’ve taken the first step in relieving yourself of the burden.
- Change the nature of your friendship by learning to say “no” and setting boundaries (e.g. “Even though we are both single, I don’t want to spend every Friday night together.”)
- Tell her that you have to tend to your own needs (or those of anyone else you can think of)
- Slip away – Spend less time with her and add other less demanding friends to your inventory
- Take a relationship sabbatical or hiatus from the friendship (you deserve it!)
- If it’s that bad, simply cut loose!
Remember, the term toxic friendships refers to relationships that are consistently negative and draining. It is the pattern, not the one-time or occasional lapses in the balance of needing that occurs between good friends. If your truly needy friend has been that way for some time, the real possibilities of changing the relationship verge on hopeless.
These are people whose needs can never be satiated. No matter what you give, what you do, how much, or how often, it will never be enough. Since character tends to endure, this person probably treats other people the same way she treats you. It’s likely that many of her friends have probably already dropped out of the picture and that’s why she is so dependent on you.
Category: Needy friends
Sites That Link to this Post
- Drawing the Line: Boundary Problems (#10) | My Journey to a Fulfilled Life | February 24, 2014
- Searching for Friendship 2013 - A Year-End Review - The Friendship Blog : The Friendship Blog | January 1, 2014
- Drawing the Line: Boundaries with Friends (#9) | My Journey to a Fulfilled Life | December 7, 2013