Welcome Box-Book Recommendations
Ask the Friendship Doctor

The Diary of Eva Heyman

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  justbella 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

LaurenM
    Participant

This slim volume of Eva Heyman’s personal diary is a testimony to the courage and sensitivity of a young thirteen year old girl, Eva Heyman who wrote this diary in Hungary over a brief period of time in 1944 during WW II. Eva was in nature, personality and dreams of the future, a lot like Anne Frank.

Eva was a girl who was of high intelligence, sensitivity and extraordinary powers of observation and analysis. This 13 year old girl was wise beyond her years. And from the photograph shown, Eva was also a girl of breathtaking beauty. She stated so strongly and so emotionally of how she wanted to live, to survive and to attain her dreams of the future.

This precious diary gives us a true and factual glimpse into the life of those innocent souls whose lives were shattered and destroyed during WW II, when darkness spread its evil web over the world.

justbella
    Participant

Hi Lauren,

You always fine the most inspirational books, and you describe them so vividly. I will definitely read this diary.

Have I mentioned The Little Locksmith by Katharine Butler Hathaway? It is another inspiring life story: A memoir by a woman who contracted spinal tuberculosis at age five, and who was left malformed (despite many years spent strapped to a board) and no taller than a ten year old child. Yet her spirit soared. She went to college, married and became a writer, leading a life full of both love and work.

The title refers to a tiny, bent locksmith she saw while she was strapped to the board. She resolved then that she would not live a malformed life. So I think she was her own locksmith, freeing herself from could have been a bitter, constrained life..

I also remember that I mentioned Jimmy Carter’s The Version of Aging to you. I haven’t gotten to that one yet. I collected a huge pile of books before my visits to my father’s hometown this fall, and people gave me more books (my favorite present!) for my birthday, so have quite a pile of riches to work my way through–which will soon include The Diary of Eva Heyman.

You are such a light-filled person, Lauren. It shines through in all your posts and in your book choices.

LaurenM
      Participant

Thanks, JustBella. I am sure that you will love and appreciate this book, The Diary of Eva Heyman. I bought it on Amazon.com

I also love President Jimmy Carter’s writing, and I love the wonderful work that The Carter Foundation has done in Africa.

I also like the portrayal of President Jimmy Carter’s courage which was presented visually in the movie Argo. When I read up on the etiquette of addressing former presidents, we are still to address them as President. And how he was so unassuming and quiet about the major part he played in rescuing those Americans. This happened at the end of his presidency, and he graciously let much of the praise go to the next administration. What a wonderful person.

The Little Locksmith sounds like a wonderfully inspirational memoir. I look forward to reading it. I love memoirs written by people who have overcome adversary in their lives, remain positive and filled with dreams of the future.

Thanks for mentioning this books. Happy, informed and inspirational reading to you… now and always!

justbella
    Participant

Hi Lauen,

I had forgotten Argo and President Carter until you mentioned it! Yes, Carter is truly a good person.

Thinking about Carter makes me think about the Nobel Prize. I was wondering what you thought about Bob Dylan receiving the Nobel for Literature this year? I think Dylan is a genius at what he does, but I do not think the Nobel should go to a songwriter, no matter how good. Much has been written about Dylan’s lyrics as poetry, but I feel that they need the music to supply the emotion. At the Nobel, the presenter compared Dylan to Whitman and Shakespeare. (I’m sure this was in reference to the sonnets.) As great as Dylan is and as large as his impact has been, I think that’s going too far.

I hope it doesn’t seem as if I’m being highbrow. I wouldn’t oppose Dylan receiving a Novel prize as a songwriter, if there were such a category.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Visit GirlfriendSocial.com

css.php